b. 12/09/1826 Irnham, Lincolnshire. d. 12/04/1883 Ugbrooke House, Chudleigh, Devon.
Sir Henry Hugh Clifford (1826-1888) was born at Irnham Hall, Lincolnshire on 12th September 1826, the third son of Hugh Charles Clifford, the 7th Baron, and his wife Mary Lucy Weld, the only daughter of Thomas (later Cardinal) Weld of Lulworth Castle, Dorset.
He received his first commission as a Second Lieutenant in the Rifle Brigade on 7th August 1846, just a month short of his 20th birthday. He served in South Africa against the Gaikas under Sandili in the following year, and then against the Boers, until their submission at Weinberg on the Vaal river. On the outbreak of another Kaffir war in 1852 he again went to Africa, where he remained until November 1853. During this time, he was promoted to Lieutenant in 1849 and Captain in 1854, soon after his actions in the Crimea which saw the award of the Victoria Cross.
He arrived in the Crimea as an Aide-de-Camp to Sir George Brown who was commanding a Light Division, and was present at the Battles of Alma and Inkerman. On 5th November 1854, at Inkerman, Clifford showed great gallantry when leading a charge and killing one of the enemy with his sword, disabling another, and saving the life of a fellow soldier.
Clifford was awarded the VC, and was one of the first announcements of the new decoration on 24th February 1857. He was now Major Clifford having received his promotion in July 1855. He was personally presented with his VC at the first investiture in Hyde Park on 26th June 1857. In 1858, his father died and he became the 8th Baron Clifford. He was also promoted to Lieutenant Colonel that year.
He then served in the China War and became a Major General in 1877. He was created a Companion of Bath and was also bestowed with a KCMG. Sir Henry Hugh Clifford VC, KCMG, CB passed away on Thursday 12th April 1888, aged 65 at his family estate, Ugbrooke House, Chudleigh, Devon. He was laid to rest in the family chapel, St Cyprian’s on the Ugbrooke Estate. His medals are not publicly held, but a replica of his medal is displayed with other military items which belonged to him in Ugbrooke House.
LOCATION OF MEDAL: REPLICA AT UGBROOKE HOUSE, DEVON.
BURIAL PLACE: ST CYPRIAN'S CHAPEL, UGBROOKE HOUSE, DEVON. FAMILY VAULT
St Cyprian's Chapel at Ugbrooke House where Clifford was buried.
(Image from Ugbrooke House website).
Clifford's military items including a replica medal set on display at Ugbrooke House, Devon
(Image from the Ugbrooke House website).
Chudleigh House, Devon