victoria_cross george cross scan0004

b.  29/10/1913 Spring City, Pennsylvania. d. 14/09/1944 Brest, France.


DATE OF MOH ACTION: 13/09/1944 Brittany, France.


Hallman was born on October 29, 1913, in Spring City, Pennsylvania, to Harry and Emma Hallman. He had two brothers, Lester and Raymond, and two sisters, Elaine and Marian. His father Harry was a postal worker.


Sherwood attended Spring City High School, Class of 1931, where he played football. Sherwood was a member of the Zion Lutheran Church just outside Spring City. Sherwood left school in his 2nd year of High School, to help support his family during the great depression. He loved animals, especially horses. He obtained a job at the Spring City Race Track just outside town on Wall St, which hosted harness races. Sherwood worked grooming horses for Harvey Stauffer. Harvey also owned Stauffer's Market on Main St, which later moved around the corner on Bridge St. He offered Sherwood a job at his market after the race season ended, and taught him the butcher trade. After Harvey died his children ran the business, but had to downsize, and laid Sherwood off. In 1939 Sherwood then began his own business – Sherry's Modern Market – a grocery store on wheels. He bought a step truck, and had it customized. Sherry's market offered door-to-door sales of groceries, produce, poultry, meat and dairy products. The Store at Your Door" shopping option.


One afternoon in 1941 when Hallman stopped by the A. C. Roberts Co. plant in Kimberton to replenish his meat supply, he met Virginia Dieter working in the office. They were married January 4, 1942, and their son, Sherwood Jr., was born October 25. Hallman's draft notice arrived two weeks after his son's birth.


On January 8, 1943, Hallman entered the service. He received his training at Fort McClellan, Alabama, at their Infantry Replacement Training Center. He spent five months training stateside. When he arrived in England, as Private First Class Hallman; he was assigned to Company F, a rifle company in the 2nd Battalion of the 175th Infantry Regiment, which was part of the 29th Division. A rifle company was a bad place in which to spend the war. Once it reached the front line it never left. The men were in constant danger. Hallman spent the next year in England training rigorously for the Normandy invasion. On D-day his regiment spent the day in LSTs bobbing up and down in the Atlantic just off Omaha Beach. They landed there on June 6, 1944. On the next day his company was hit by British dive bombers who thought they were Germans. The attack left five men dead and 19 wounded, including Hallman. He was sent to an English hospital for treatment and just 17 days later returned to his company to resume the fighting in France.




For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. On 13 September 1944, in Brittany, France, the 2d Battalion in its attack on the fortified city of Brest was held up by a strongly defended enemy position which had prevented its advance despite repeated attacks extending over a 3-day period. Finally, Company F advanced to within several hundred yards of the enemy position but was again halted by intense fire. Realizing that the position must be neutralized without delay, S/Sgt. Hallman ordered his squad to cover his movements with fire while he advanced alone to a point from which he could make the assault. Without hesitating, S/Sgt. Hallman leaped over a hedgerow into a sunken road, the central point of the German defenses which was known to contain an enemy machinegun position and at least 30 enemy riflemen. Firing his carbine and hurling grenades, S/Sgt. Hallman, unassisted, killed or wounded 4 of the enemy, then ordered the remainder to surrender. Immediately, 12 of the enemy surrendered and the position was shortly secured by the remainder of his company. Seeing the surrender of this position, about 75 of the enemy in the vicinity surrendered, yielding a defensive organization which the battalion with heavy supporting fires had been unable to take. This single heroic act on the part of S/Sgt. Hallman resulted in the immediate advance of the entire battalion for a distance of 2,000 yards to a position from which Fort Keranroux was captured later the same day. S/Sgt. Hallman's fighting determination and intrepidity in battle exemplify the highest tradition of the U.S. Armed Forces.




Sherwood Henry Hallman