b. 17/02/1880 Hobart, Australia. d. 09/01/1962 Camberley, Surrey.
Guy George Egerton Wylly (1880-1962) was born on 17th February 1880 in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, son of Edward Arthur Egerton Wylly, an Indian Army officer, and his wife Henrietta Mary, née Clerk. As an infant Guy went to India with his parents. In 1885 the family settled at Sandy Bay, Hobart, where he attended The Hutchins School before completing his education at the Collegiate School of St Peter, Adelaide.
On 26th April 1900 Wylly embarked from Hobart as a lieutenant with the 3rd (1st Tasmanian Imperial) Contingent. After its arrival in South Africa, the unit was absorbed into the 4th Imperial Bushmen which by August was constantly under enemy fire in small engagements. On 1 September he had command of a troop of bushmen escorting a foraging party near Warmbad, Transvaal. Scouting ahead, he and seven others rode into an ambush in a narrow gorge: six men were wounded, including Wylly. Corporal E. S. Brown was hit in the leg and unhorsed. Wylly went to his aid, gave him his horse, then opened fire from behind a rock, enabling Brown and other men to withdraw, before he made his own escape. For his gallantry Wylly was awarded the Victoria Cross. Trooper J. H. Bisdee was also awarded the V.C. during the same action.
After being gazetted on 23rd November 1900, he was presented with his Victoria Cross by King Edward VII at St James’ Palace on 25th July 1901. Transferring to the British Army on 5 December 1900, Wylly was gazetted second lieutenant in the South Lancashire Regiment and joined its 2nd Battalion in India. On 1st October 1902 he obtained a transfer to the Indian Army, serving in the 46th Punjabis (1902-04) and the Queen's Own Corps of Guides, infantry (1904-06); he then joined the cavalry in the Q.O.C.G. From January 1906 to September 1909 he was aide-de-camp to Lord Kitchener, the commander-in-chief, East Indies.
Having qualified at the Staff College, Quetta, on 14ths December 1914 Wylly was posted as staff captain in the Mhow Cavalry Brigade, serving with the British Expeditionary Force in France. Wounded in action in August 1915, he returned to his unit as brigade major following his promotion on 1st September. In June 1916 he was posted briefly to the staff of the British 4th Division and next month joined the staff of the 3rd Australian Division which was forming in England. From 24th February to 26th July 1917 he was on the staff of I Anzac Corps, his final appointment before returning to India. For his service in France and Belgium he was thrice mentioned in dispatches and was awarded the Distinguished Service Order in January 1918.
Between 1919 and 1933, Wylly took part in several operations on the North-West Frontier, earning four further mentions in dispatches. A Lieutenant-Colonel from 26th April 1926, he was given command of the 6th Duke of Connaught's Own Lancers. Promotion to colonel followed in April 1930. He was also an aide-de-camp to King George V in 1926-33. Appointed C.B. in 1933, he retired to Camberley, Surrey, England. He died at his home, Mount Joie, on 9th January 1962 aged 81, and was cremated at Woking Crematorium. His ashes were scattered in the Centre of Tennyson Lake Garden. His medals are held by the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart.
LOCATION OF MEDAL: TASMANIAN ART GALLERY MUSEUM, HOBART.
BURIAL PLACE: WOKING CREMATORIUM, WOKING, SURREY.ASHES SCATTERED.
Courtesy of Gordon Traill
Medal display at Tasmanian Museum (Jason Daniels)
Cornelian Bay Crematorium, Hobart (Richard Yielding)
Woking Crematorium (Memorials to Valour)